You are your child’s first and best teacher and our Early Years programs are here to help you along the way. We offer programs to support you and promote the growth and development of your young children. Our goal is to provide information on parenting, child development and community services. Working together with parents and our community, Early Years Programs strengthen and build supportive and caring environments for our children, our families and our community.
The Importance of Early Years Development
The early years of development (ages birth to 6) are the most important years in a child’s life. Important brain development occurs that set the stage for lifelong learning, behaviour and health. By the age of 6, children have a solid foundation for reaching their full potential in the years ahead.
Children’s learning happens through exposure. When parent’s and caregivers promote language, literacy, numeracy, problem solving and by interacting with their children they are providing learning experiences. Our early year’s programs encourage and support parents in this role in a variety of ways.
Drop-in programs provide:
- An array of opportunities for interactive and solitary play for children and thier parents/caregivers through developmentally appropriate fine and gross motor activities such as songs, fingerplay, painting, playdough, crafts, puzzles/blocks, dramatic play and much more.
- Information about programs and services available for young children
- Information and training for new parents about pregnancy and parenting
- Parent information, resources and workshops
- Literacy development and kindergarten readiness